Friday 19 October 2012

Kolb’s learning cycle and a reflection on my own learning style



After studying Kolbs learning cycle it became clear that I enter the cycle at different points depending on the circumstance.

With this course because I feel very unsure still about many of these tasks as they are all new to me. I do tend to visit other peoples blogs first to get some ideas (Kolbs ‘Reflective Observation’). I then reflect on my own experiences and use trial and error, (Kolbs ‘Active conceptualisation’) adapting my own ideas as I go along (Kolbs ‘Abstract experimentation’). However, initially I was extremely reluctant to publish any blog as I lacked confidence in my own ability as a writer. Now, I find I am improving in this and am better at starting with doing the blog (Kolbs ‘Concrete experience’) before looking at other ideas.

When I attend auditions I feel that I enter Kolbs learning cycle at a different point. I start the night before by preparing all my audition songs, getting my bag ready with all my shoes and outfit. I prepare the train time that I will get in the morning and often I mentally prepare how my audition will go (Kolbs ‘Active Experimentation- planning). I then have the audition and have the experience (Kolbs ‘Concrete experience’- doing). After I tend to reflect on what went wrong and what went well (Kolbs ‘Reflective Observation’- reflecting and reviewing).  I then learn from this and know how I can improve for next time (Kolbs ‘Abstract conceptualisation’- concluding and learning). This is exactly how Honey and Mumford described their 4 stages of learning:

-Having the experience
-Reviewing the experience
-Concluding from the experience
-Planning the next steps

This task has helped me reflect on how I learn which in time will help me find my own ‘professional direction’ or ‘artistic vision’.




No comments:

Post a Comment