Wednesday 9 March 2016

Growth mindset

I believe, when I hit the age of 16, I developed a fixed mindset. I gained the highest female results at GCSE level at my school and thought, 'wow, I can't do any better.' I now know, you can always improve, always learn and it's only you who can change it.

Working as a teaching assistant, and hopefully developing my skills into teaching from September 2016 on wards, it is vital to make sure all children 'try.' There is no such word as 'can't.' Children, in my opinion, should never be nervous about making mistakes as this is how we grow and learn. It is all about 'having a go'. This will help educate and develop these young people's minds.

At the school where I am currently working they have 5 rules to become an 'Independent learner'. These are:
  • Have a go
  • Persevere
  • Ask a friend
  • Help yourself ( to resources) 
  • Make your work go from 'Good to Great'


These simple rules were constructed by the children and staff together. They are very apparent at the school and when considering them closely I actually realised that these are Lifelong skills for learning.

I also realised that throughout school my achievement was praised rather than my effort. ( Hence my belief that I couldn't do any better at GCSEs).This has been proven by Carol Dweck's work on Growth Mindset.

I love this video below. Give it a watch...




No comments:

Post a Comment